Friday, January 10, 2014

Animism, part two

Week #2 - the letter "A" continued

After reading my week #1 blog post on Animism, my friend L. was wondering if spirit and soul were the same thing.  Honestly, I hadn't thought about it prior to writing the blog and even up until the moment L. posed the question.  But it got me thinking: are they the same thing or not?

My first thought is yes, they are the same thing.  Your soul and your spirit are the essence of your being.  They encompass your emotions, your thoughts, your memories.  It is the part of a person or object that is energy. 

After more thought, and a bit of research, I'm not as sure of my initial definition of spirit and soul being one in the same.

Dictonary.com provides the following definitions:
Spirit: noun
1. the principle of conscious life; the vital principle in humans, animating the body or mediating between body and soul.
2. the incorporeal part of humans: present in spirit though absent in body.
3. the soul regarded as separating from the body at death.
4. conscious, incorporeal being, as opposed to matter: the world of spirit.
5. a supernatural, incorporeal being, especially one inhabiting a place, object, etc., or having a particular character: evil spirits.


Soul: noun
1. the principle of life, feeling, thought, and action in humans, regarded as a distinct entity separate from the body, and commonly held to be separable in existence from the body; the spiritual part of humans as distinct from the physical part.
2. the spiritual part of humans regarded in its moral aspect, or as believed to survive death and be subject to happiness or misery in a life to come: arguing the immortality of the soul.
3. the disembodied spirit of a deceased person: He feared the soul of the deceased would haunt him.
4. the emotional part of human nature; the seat of the feelings or sentiments.
5. a human being; person.

Based on the above definitions, the following statements are true:
  • a soul is something that is unique to human beings
  • a spirit is a soul, but only when it is no longer encased in a body or physical object

Hmmm.

If we reflect on the two definitions of Animism, (1) the belief in souls/spirits and (2) the belief that non-human entities have souls/spirits, and combine it with the definitions of soul and spirit, the first definition still holds as 100% true and accurate to me and in my beliefs.  The second definition of Animism, however, doesn't jive when you include the definitions of soul and spirit, especially the one for soul.

More Hmmm.

My thought process now leads me to considering if I agree with the definitions of spirit and soul as provided by my source.  I do, but I don't.

To me, a soul is your energy and this energy can be in humans, objects, animals, etc.  It is not unique to human beings.  When you soul leaves your body, or whatever it was contained within, it becomes a spirit.  The energy is the same but the location is different. 

Utilizing my own definitions for soul and spirit, I still fully believe in Animism as it is explained in the two-part definition I've used here and in my first post on Animism.

I recently found the picture below.  I think it is a good, but not complete, view of what a soul is and is not.  It does cover what many people feel is an accurate definition of a soul, but doesn't accurately represent my full view on a soul and how I relate it to Animism.


8 comments:

  1. I've always thought that soul/spirit were the same things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always thought the same until I actually started to really think about it. It's weird how there are so many beliefs that I've never fully examined or given much thought to but am now exploring. It's fun so far.

      Delete
  2. Like Kimber I always felt that soul and spirit were the same thing. Shanda I believe that everything from a person to a stone has an energy which is the soul/spirit of each.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well then Animism is definitely a part of your belief system. I think soul and spirit are often used interchangeably and I am rather sure I do it. I am going to attempt to use my realized definitions of the two as I now know them. I really do feel it is a personal opinion/viewpoint.

      Delete
  3. I agree that everything has soul but when the soul leaves the body (it becomes spirit) When thinking of myself or others I think in terms of soul whether rock or pet or friend. For me spirit is something even less tangible than soul. Almost as if you need a pulse or energy for soul where as a spirit just is..like an echo. Not sure. Your first post really fired up my brain. I have been chewing on this since we spoke. I am enjoying this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you are enjoying it. So far, I've had to examine some of my thoughts and beliefs...things I had never really considered until now. I'm very excited to see where this will lead me.

      Delete
  4. I found this and thought I would share
    Language Of The Soul
    The Paradox Of Spirit
    Each of us has a spiritual self that animates our bodies and infuses our thoughts and feelings. Our language is limited to the world we know for descriptions of something that perhaps cannot be fully comprehended by the human mind. Therefore, only metaphors approach the expressions that give us a true sense of our spiritual nature. The paradox lies in opposing concepts, all of which are true at the same time. And in harmonizing the opposites, we begin to know the wonders of the spirit.

    The self is not small or big but is both at the same time. Our spirit is like a drop in the ocean of spiritual energy. Although our spirit seems like a small, disconnected part of a larger whole, it is still made of the same things and can become part of the vast ocean once again. Our individual spirit seems to inhabit our bodies like a passenger in a vehicle but at the same time is not bound by our bodies. Spirits can reach across the miles to touch the heart of a loved one or expand to become one with the universe. We may feel small and perhaps insignificantly young when we look up at the stars, but we are made of the same basic elements. Perhaps looking at the stars is merely a reflection of what is going on within each atom and cell of our being. We are a universe within a universe. Our spirits are ever renewing, yet ageless and eternal. So the self is not new or old but both at once.

    So our spiritual self is not small or big, new or old. We may experience life as good and bad, right and wrong, happy and sad, but this is the experience of the material world of dualities, not the truth of our spiritual nature. By going within to touch the eternal and changeless energy at our center, we can go beyond the contrasting metaphors to the experience of oneness. And in that connection we can know big and small, new and old, movement and stillness. By accepting the paradox of spirit, we open ourselves to the fullness of our own being.

    ReplyDelete