Friday, February 7, 2014

Community, part two

Week #6 - the letter "C" continued

Back to community and the continuation of my last post...

My community expanded to include a new group in September of 2012. One of my best friends and her husband created Prairie Star Circle (PSC): a monthly Pagan religious service — a ritual — held in Kearney, Nebraska. These rituals are public, participatory, and the liturgical structure changes from month to month to represent several contemporary Pagan traditions, such as Wicca, Druidry, Heathenry, Hellenism, and more.  PSC also offered random workshops.



It was fun being a part of a ritual where I didn't have to plan anything or lead.  And my friends put on some amazing rituals that I probably never would have been able to experience otherwise.  What PSC was doing was a huge asset to the Pagan community.

Sadly, the founders of PSC moved away in May of 2013.  The founders offered a training class for a few of the regular attendees.  I took it along with two others.  We were "certified" and, on June 2, 2013 we took over as the ritualists for the group.  Myself and one other ritualist are the leaders of the group and the other certified trainer is an assistant by her own choice.  Because of some life changes, I am now the only leader of the group but I'm doing what I can to keep it going.

As if I didn't have enough on my plate already, I finally took the leap and applied to be a Local Coordinator with the Pagan Pride Project, Inc.  There mission statement had me hooked: "The mission of the Pagan Pride Project is to foster pride in Pagan identity through education, activism, charity and community".  It was a perfect fit.

On July 23, 2013, Kearney Area Pagan Pride was born and less than three months after that, we held the first Kearney Area Pagan Pride Day. The mission of KAPP is to educate the public about Paganism and other forms of Earth-based spirituality with focus on the diversity of religious expression in our community in an effort to bring about harmony amongst all spiritual paths.

My community continues to grow and branch into different areas in both the Pagan and non-Pagan communities.  I finally have my sense of community in my Pagan world.  It really is lovely and one of the best things ever.

Through Kearney Area Pagan Pride, I've been able to network with other Pagans in Nebraska.  I have also met others in our area who didn't know there were any other Pagans in our area.  Prairie Star Circle gives me the opportunity to focus on the spiritual and religious side of my belief system while also being open for those who are curious about Paganism or just want a sip of what it's like.  And Rural Nebraska Witches' Group gives me the social opportunities to engage with others and just be myself.  It also fills my desire to teach and play a role in ritual, instead of always having to lead ritual.  With my family, we create our own community and a family practice that will be passed to future generations.

I have my community and I am a reflection of my community.  But what does that mean?

A few weeks ago, a new friend and I met for a marathon chat session.  She is a Priestess in her tradition and I consider myself to be a Priestess as well.  Neither of us has gone through degrees of initiation into specific traditions but the roles we have held and do hold, put us into the position.  It isn't a title either of us take lightly but it is one that is implied and bestowed upon us by our communities.  When leading ritual, we take on the title of High Priestess.

Someone she knows encouraged her to always remain a Community Priestess and not become a Professional Priestess.  That sparked my curiosity because I'd never heard either term.  She went on to explain that a Professional Priestess is one who does her job for money.  This means she holds rituals and charges for attendance or that she has a fee to teach.  She is driven by money, fame, and power.  Being a Priestess is her job and source of income.  Her identity is wrapped in her title of Priestess.

A Community Priestess does her job because she wants to help her community.  Her fees, if any, are small and negotiable.  She is drawn to do her job because it is a passion and she is driven by her sense of community.  Her desire to help her community grow and prosper far outweigh her want for money, fame, or power.

I'm not saying either is right or wrong, or if one is good or bad.  It's a personal choice.  Would I make my living, if I could, serving as a Professional Priestess?  In a heartbeat.  But I really do not see that happening.  Even if it did happen, I would still be a Community Priestess at heart and the values of a Community Priestess would always win out.

With that, this is my vow:

I am a Community Priestess
I am a reflection of my community
I nurture my community
I educate my community
I give back to my community
I am proud of my community
So mote it be.

On my road to figuring out my belief system, nurturing my community is a definite.

2 comments: