Friday, February 14, 2014

Druidism

Week #7 - the letter "D"

When I was taking the first tentative steps on my Pagan path, my only reference was the Wiccan-based book "Living Wicca - A Further Guide for the the Solitary Practitioner" by Scott Cunningham. I learned a great deal and Cunningham became a go-to reference for me for many years to come.  I still have many of his books and am thankful for the solid foundation they gave me.

Further study continued to revolve around Wicca and the various traditions.  It was what was widely available.  While much of Wicca clicked with me, there were aspects that didn't.  I knew there was more to Paganism than just Wicca but I struggled to find it.

Time continues and I get a taste of Native American beliefs and learn about Buddhism.  I'm eclectic in my belief system so I incorporate what works for me into my practice.  The pieces were coming together.

In 2012 I got to experience a Druid ritual.  It truly moved me.  The meditation we did during the ritual had me tearing up.  It was based upon the "Two Powers Meditation" by Ian Corrigan.   From the ADF website:

https://www.adf.org/
ADF Logo
This is a basic meditation intended to link the Druid's spirit and flesh to the currents of Earth and Sky. It is based on methods that have become known in Pagan work as "grounding and centering". All these methods are meant to connect the student to spiritual powers in the cosmos, and to provide balanced channels of flow for those powers in the personal soul. Some form of this technique should precede almost any work of worship or magic. The Two Powers model is based on core concepts in Indo-European lore, but is not, by any means, the only vision or mythic model useful in our Druidry.

My husband and children were also intrigued and the four of us, especially my son, wanted to learn more.  But, as is typical with me, life happened.  There was no dedicated study but random information consumed when it happened to appear in my life.  My son was studying and this past Yule, we got him a one-year membership to Ár nDraíocht Féin: A Druid Fellowship (ADF). 

In September 2013, one of my dear and long-time friends reached a monumental goal in her life and received approval to start the very first Protogrove in Nebraska.  I was honored to attend the first ritual of Prairie Shadow Protogrove, ADF as we celebrated Samhain.  From that moment, my need to learn about Druidism was ignited. 
http://prairieshadow.weebly.com/
PSP - Omaha, NE

I'm not working the Dedicant Path and I'm not even an official member of ADF, but I am studying with hope of doing both in the very near future.  I am also anxious to attend more PSP events so I can experience Druidism in person. 

Will Druidry be my only path?  I don't know but lean towards no.  I rather love my eclectic system but I'm positive ADF will have some influences. 

4 comments:

  1. I so agree that grounding and Centering are essential to entering any deep level ritual.. and protection as well honoring the energies of Earth and Sky within and without...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree. I'm a "natural ground" but it is so important to know how to do it well.

      Delete
  2. I feel off balance if I don't ground and center myself. It's so important to connect with mother Gaia. I also am eclectic in my path. Druidry has made an influence in my path as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so cool that we have that in common. :)

      Delete