Friday, April 11, 2014

Hedge-ish Witch

Week #15 - the letter "H"

I associate with the term/label Hedge Witch on many levels.  Now, keep in mind that the term/label Hedge Witch has a gazillion definitions depending on who you ask, what you read, and where you find it.  There are some general aspects that are in most definitions so I'm using them to show why I am a Hedge-ish Witch.

Healing - Although I'm not a proficient healers, it is an important aspect for me.  I do what I am able to help heal others when it is needed and I am still building my skills in this area. 

Deep love of nature - I do adore nature and most all that exist in the natural world.  I care deeply about the planet and do what I can to keep her healthy and alive.  I love animals (with the exception of ticks, spiders, and mosquitoes) and honor them.  I like to listen to the sounds of nature and enjoy celebrating the changing of seasons.

Shamanic techniques - In the instance of using drums and drumming, I like incorporating those sounds, including rattles and rattling, into my rituals and practice.  The peaceful, natural methods align well with my own instincts.

No separation or distinction between "normal" life and "magickal" life - I try to live my life with no separation between the magickal and the mundane.  It isn't something I've mastered just yet.

Simple, or folk, magick - I don't do magick very often, but when I do, it is simple and practical.

WonderfullyWitchy on Etsy
Simple, practical tools - I've never had the need for a lot of altar decorations or tools.  To the day, I rarely use tools in my practice.  Those that I do have and use, are generally very plain and simple in both form and material.

Follow their instincts and hearts - 100%.

Blaze their own path - I've tried to walk the path of others and have failed.  No matter how hard I try to fit myself and my beliefs into a specific tradition or path, it doesn't work.  I do what works for me, what feels right for me, and make my own path.  It may merge or cross with other paths but the direction is my own.

Often solitary in practice but will celebrate with other Pagans - Deep down, I've always been a solitary practitioner.  I have groups that I practice with and even practice with my husband and kids.  Those are all nice and do add something to my life and to my spirituality.  But in the end, my deepest work happens when I am alone in my own practice.

Herbalism - Here is where I do not match.  I've never had much interest in learning more about herbs much less using them.  I have a black thumb and plants do not thrive under my care.  I don't really even have a basic knowledge of herbs. It is because of the herbalism aspect that I add the "-ish" to Hedge.

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE the wonderfully witchy sign. The Hedge Witch is the one I identify with most. My great grandma was a midwife and the other a farmer. Both my grandmas were :natural: women who farmed and lived off the earth. And even my mom who is so connect to earth it surprises me she doenst have roots instead of feet. They would not used the term Hedge Witch but much of what they did in their daily life fit the description above. I honor the Hedge Witch in me. I hope I can one day fully embrace her and let her free.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love to know that about your grandmothers and mom. I really feel connected to it and may try to amp up my herbal studies as tribute.

      Oh, love your last two lines:
      "I honor the Hedge Witch in me.
      I hope I can one day fully embrace her and let her free."

      You will...someday and sooner than you think

      Delete