Friday, April 25, 2014

Individuality

Week #17 - the letter "I"

One thing that really drew me to Paganism was the ability to make my own path that was unique and custom to me.  Even if you elect to strictly follow one single tradition, you are still seen as an individual.  Paganism, to me, is not about the nameless, faceless masses but collections of people celebrating their individuality and still playing well with others.

I am an eclectic Pagan so I'm very much so an individual in my beliefs and practice.  This blog is a tool for me to explore my spirituality and figure out the little bits and pieces that click and connect to build the whole.

Because I do teach in my community, lead my family in our home practice, and am a Priestess, my individuality is introduced to others.  How I do things, why I do them, and when is my system and it is what I rely upon when I'm doing all workings.  Those in my community, classes, or family may have different methods to doing the same thing but I can only lead based on my own experiences and preferences.

But I am still an individual.  As are those who come into contact with me.  Perhaps some of my individuality rubs off on them and they elect to incorporate it into their system.  We are still individuals with quirks and methods that are unique to ourselves.  

Paganism encourages and embraces individuality.  I need individuality.

Some synonyms of individuality:  identity, oneness, distinctiveness, originality, uniqueness, independence, manner, nature, selfhood.

The below quote is on the backside of one card in the Power Deck by Lynn V. Andrews.  I love it.  It really encompasses what is individuality.  The last two lines are especially powerful and really hit home. 

Power Deck by Lynn V. Andrews, with paintings by Rob Schouten

No comments:

Post a Comment