Monday, June 23, 2014

Labyrinths, part 2

Week 24 - the letter "L" again
(I'm bummed that I didn't get this out in time but we have a lot going on and it just didn't happen.  This is my attempt at catching up.  It will be short since my mind is on a million different things and not one of them is this blog.)

A few years ago on the Summer Solstice, I joined several others in walking the labyrinth.  I only two of the individuals.  The diversity of those in attendance was beautiful.  Some carried small bells and there was enchanting music playing in the background.  The experience was very calming and soft.  (Soft is the best way I can explain it.)  Energy was raised but it was a soothing and gentle energy.  It was very memorable.

After that, I decided to start using the labyrinth more often in my practice.  

The first ritual I created was for me and two of my closest female friends.  We entered the labyrinth one at a time.  As we entered we wound ourselves up but remembering all the hurt and anger we had been experiencing.  Once we all reached the middle, we sat down with our ritual kit, some blankets, and took turns purging those thoughts from our minds.  We took turns, listening, and supporting each other.  This was a safe and sacred place where we were safe and allowed to be vulnerable.  We weren't going to judge each other or offer unsolicited advice.  There were tears and laughter.  It was wonderful.  After we had released all that junk, we moved out of the labyrinth and only thought of the good, happy, and positive things.  We wanted to let these things really push out the unwanted emotions and memories.  I think it was very successful.

In a 2013 Autumn Equinox ritual, I revised my first labyrinth ritual slightly to better include a large group, with people who they may or may not feel comfortable around or even really know.  Here is part of the ritual:
When we walk the labyrinth today, we are going to focus on those things that can knock us off balance. These things can be good or bad. They can be large or small. Maybe it’s too much work and not enough play. Perhaps you say yes to everyone else but rarely to yourself. Everything in your life takes energy. If you give too much energy to any one place, it can tip the scales and knock you off balance. 

Before you enter the labyrinth, pause at the entrance and ground yourself. When you are ready, begin walking towards the center. 

Think about those things that mess with your balance. Get riled up. Cry. Yell or scream. Fully let them occupy your mind...building and winding you up tighter and tighter as you go. Let them build and fully blind you with how they damage your balance.
As the groups began to enter the labyrinth, I talked to them and asked questions.  I wanted to prompt them to really think of those things that knocked them off balance. 

When a participant made it into the center, I would lead them through some breath work and exercises to help each person rid themselves of those things that they brought into the labyrinth.  I focused on bringing everyone to the present and encouraged them to be as mindful as possible. 

When they were ready, the person would then retrace their steps to exit the labyrinth.  I met them there with an embrace and to check in with them.  We weren't going to process a lot at that point but I did need to make sure the participants were okay to continue the ritual.  I also worked my hands over the person to ensure they were grounded and stable.

There were 17 participants in that ritual and every one of them told me they had really gotten something out of the experience. In wrapping things up I talked about the range of emotions that are with us everyday and how they can knock us off track/off balance but there are also those feelings that bring us back to balance. Balance is key to so many aspects of life. We balance work and home, family and friends, relationships and independence.

Besides just walking the labyrinth on a semi-regular basis, I am planning to plan something for the coming Winter Solstice that will include the labyrinth.  I'm not yet sure if this will be just for me, or for my family, or for close friends, or for the Pagan community.  

No comments:

Post a Comment