Monday, June 23, 2014

Meditation

Week 25 - the letter "M"
(Still playing catch up.)

I used to hate meditation.  I couldn't do it.  There was no way I was going to be successful at shutting down my brain to a nothing statues.  I couldn't focus.  I couldn't shut down.  I sucked.

http://fineartamerica.com/featured/om-tree-of-life-meditation-laura-iverson.html
Om Tree of Life Meditation by Laura Iverson
For many years, this was my mindset.  I tried guided meditation and using different scripts.  There have been more chimes and chanting than I would care to admit.  Focusing, mantras, walking.  Nothing seemed to work.

Until it did. 

I let go of everything I had ever thought was Truth about meditation.  I forget what it should be and what it shouldn't be, how it was supposed to work, how it should make me feel.  I embraced the crazy that is my mind and was able to work through the chatter to enter into a meditative state. 

You don't have to have a clear, quiet mind that is silent and serene.  You don't have to sit in a certain way.  You don't have to tone or hold your hands a certain way.  There is no time minimum or maximum. 

You just have to be.

Let your mind shout at you, recognize it, and then tell yourself you will file that away for later.  Don't dwell on it.  If you have emotional responses, let them come and go with the flow.  Concentrate on yourself and on your body.  It is okay to be aware of each an every sound around you but you don't have to focus on those sounds. 

There are so many types of meditation out there.  Your meditation can be mindful, spiritual, focused, movement, or mantra.  You can make use of nature in numerous ways.  When it comes down to it, meditation can be as simple, or as complex, as we want it to be.


I meditate daily and strive to do so for at least 20 minutes.  I find a comfortable place and so my best to ensure I will not be disturbed.  With my eyes closed, I focus on my breathing...the rhythm, the inhale, the exhale.  Sometimes I count as I do this.  I listen for my heartbeat.  I sometimes use a metronome or music.  There are times I use mantras to keep me in the moment and not let my mind take over with random thoughts. 

I also have an app on my iPhone that reminds me it's time to meditate.  It's called Chakra Chime and is by Goodman Gear.  (For android via Google Play.)  This app also has a timer and a diary.  It was free when I got it and it is really nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment