Friday, July 25, 2014

Offerings, part 2

Week 30 - the letter "O" again
There is another type of offering but this one tends to rub people the wrong way.  It is the offering plate and it may sit out at an event or even be passed around.  It serves as a request for donations.  While there isn't any obligation to donate, you sometimes feel that you may be judged or ostracized if you do not toss in a couple of bucks or more.

When I was growing up Catholic, I always loved having a few coins to add to the offering plate when it was passed around the church.  It was a big deal to me to contribute.  I don't know that I was actually aware of just what it was donating to but everyone else was doing it so it seemed right.

This past autumn, I began attending the Unitarian Universalist (UU) fellowship services offered at the local college.  At one point during the service, here comes the donation plate.  I dropped in a five dollar bill.  I still didn't really know to what my donation would benefit.  It felt right to donate and I really enjoyed the service and what the UU Church symbolized.  I did not feel that it was an obligation at all.

I have never charged for my Pagan "services" because I don't feel right doing so.  I'm also not an expert at what I do so it didn't seem right.  When I perform a wedding, I ask to be reimbursed for the gasoline I use to get there and back.  If someone wants to tip me for my service, I don't turn them down.  I've taught numerous classes and led many rituals and I've read my fair share of cards, stones, and Runes.  Never charged.

And I still don't charge.

But, this past year, the expense of renting space, buying supplies, and making copies started to add up.  It was difficult, but I started putting out a donation plate during the classes and rituals.  It would be set off to the side as to not be super intrusive and I only mentioned it one time.  There was a small sign by the bowl that explained what the funds would be used for.  It wasn't specific but it did say for rental fees, supplies, and copies associated with _______ (whichever group I was representing with that particular event.)

People donated.  Some put in $5, $10, and even $20 and others a dollar or a couple of coins.  Every little bit helped.  We aren't making money and I don't expect we ever will but that isn't our goal.  I tend to break even in regards to the supplies and copies.  It helps and I've noticed that it makes some people take greater pride in what they are doing/learning because they have personally and financially donated to the cause.  

I will continue to put out the offering plate with a note explaining where they funds will go.  I may bring it up once a year or I may not.  I've come to terms with this and don't feel guilty for it. 

1 comment:

  1. Nor should you..its energy given and recieved. I have much greater issue with the Catholic Church and where tgeir monies go..obviously into their huge new edifices like the one on 56th street or the new one in downtown Oakland CA by the Lake..prime real estate that one...nir do I like the plate passing idea..but then Im raised Jewish and been into Goddess/Pagan for the majority of my life.

    This discussion comes up over and over again in Pagan and Dianic circles depending on whose leading it. Unfortunately much of citified Dianic Wicca has followed along the Z Budapest way of creating a professional paid Priestess class of womyn, especially those ordained by her. Some of these Priestesses charge what I consider exorbitant sums of money for their events like $30-40 a ritual!! And this is not necessarily the amount needed to pay for the space and supplies. They are making money off their spirituality..and to me thats what the rest of the patriarchal religions do.

    Then there's the country Dianics who charged approximately $10-15 a ritual for the space and supplies needed..and the caveat always: "Nobody turned away for lack of funds." I think women paid as they came in but sometimes a jar was left on the table as one walks in and it was up to her own conscience how much to pay in that framework or if she could at all. there are many times I could only afford to give a few dollars...other times for those Priestesses expecting $20 or more which I could not afford..I just quit going to their rituals.

    For High Holydays like Hallowmas or the Solstices and Equinoxes and the Priesteds/Priest has to rent a space and for their time,energy, talent and supplies I can completely understand them charging. Nobody should go broke doing the work we love and are born to do...but those who truly "get" the tribal spirit of our connection, that we are ALL equal before the eyes of the Goddess/Dieties: the caveat "Nobody turned away for lacking funds."
    . -My two cents,
    -Artemis
    P.S. As explained to me by an old school Priestess who has mentored me for years: she absolutely did not believe in charging for year and a day training. This was a strict rule in her Coven and Tradition. Other old school Priestesses have told me the same. She explained unlike the professional Priestess class...that as a community Priestess others mentored and taught her without pay and it was understood to pay back her debt..the obligation was to oass it on and teach others too without expecting renumeration..particularly tge year and a day training. For a High Holyday event or taro readings or counseling or even marrying others...these are sevices not training thats different...but knowledge freely received is knowledge given to others freely when the time comes..a give and take to empower the entire community and eventually bring EVERYONE up into leadership..not just the select few or those who could afford it like with the professional Priestess/clergy class...
    . -Artemis

    ReplyDelete