Friday, December 26, 2014

Zen

Week 52 - the letter "Z" again
Here we are with the end of the 2014 Pagan Blog Project.  I am quite proud that I completed the project and posted at least 52 times.  I am definitely going to continue with the project in 2015 because I've learned so much about myself and about my spirituality.

This week, I'm writing about the art of being Zen.  
Zen
/zɛn/ noun
1. a Japanese school, of 12th-century Chinese origin, teaching that contemplation of one's essential nature to the exclusion of all else is the only way of achieving pure enlightenment

2. Chinese Ch'an. Buddhism. a Mahayana movement, introduced into China in the 6th century a.d. and into Japan in the 12th century, that emphasizes enlightenment for the student by the most direct possible means, accepting formal studies and observances only when they form part of such means.
To many, myself included, Zen is a feeling or a mindset of enlightenment.  It is one of peace, comfort, and security.  While it is a movement or practice, it is also a state-of-mind.  Zen is something I personally wish to achieve and then maintain as much as possible.

Participating in this blog project has allowed me to dig deeper into my personal belief system and establish what it is and what it is not.  For me, that is something that helps bring me to a very zen-like state.  Being an eclectic Pagan, I have no rules or guidelines to follow.  It is up to me to create these for my Shanda-ism.  I generally dislike labels and putting things into categories, but I did need to do that for this.  

Is it defined fully and completely?  No.  But I am getting closer and do have a firmer grip on myself and my spirituality.  And I am honestly proud of the discoveries I've made along this journey and look forward to continuing the next step.

Here's what I've discovered:

Shanda-ism is:
  • Pagan
  • Eclectic
  • Focused on the Elements of Earth, Air, Fire, and Water
  • Honoring the Moon, especially her full stage
  • Recognizing and celebrating the Seasonal changes, primarily on the changes within Nature
  • Balanced in as many ways possible
  • Belief in Animism, Pantheism, and reincarnation
  • Supports, nurtures, and gives back to the Pagan community that is my own 
  • Influenced by Wicca, ADF Druidism, Buddhism, Huna, and Feri Tradition
  • It's a little bit Hedge Witch-based
  • When I practice magick, it is Grey Witchcraft - embracing both good and bad/light and dark while fully understanding the consequences of all actions
  • Belief in Karma as both fear- and love-based
  • Has guidelines, not rules, that are based on my personal morals and ethics
  • Incorporating labyrinths and animals when possible
  • Mostly solitary but does play well with others
  • Encourages family participation and exploration
 
Shanda-ism is not:
  • Christian
  • Highly structured
  • Deity-driven
  • Focused on Magic(k)
  • Ran on Pagan Standard Time 
  • Filled with hard and fast rules

No comments:

Post a Comment