Friday, January 23, 2015

Assumptions

Week 2 - the letter "A" is for Assumptions

Since I recognized that my belief system was pagan-based, I've encountered a lot of assumptions from both pagans and non-pagans.  These assumptions run in a million and a half different directions with most being incorrect.  It's frustrating and annoying.


But I do have a question.  How does someone assuming something about me make ME an ass?  Is it because of that person's misinformation that I look less than favorable?  How does that work?  I totally understand how making an assumption can make the assuming person an ass because, by definition according to dictionary.com, assuming is "to take for granted or without proof."

Assumptions can lead to a positive curiosity and a great learning opportunity.  But if your exploration of the assumption is one-sided or inaccurate, you really aren't all that more educated on the topic than you where when you made your assumptions.  

People make assumptions all the time.  It's something that most everyone does.  What matters is if you take your assumptions and claim they are fact and discount anyone who says otherwise.  This is where the danger comes from.

Work on digging into your assumptions.  Ask questions and get clarifications.  Check multiple different sources.  Test it out to see if it feels "right."  Don't assume that just because I'm a Pagan and you are a Pagan that we have the same views on magick, energy, divinity, etc.   If you want to know more about what kind of Pagan I am, ask.  I'll give you as much information as I am able and clarify to the best of my ability.

1 comment:

  1. Love this post! I've often asked the same question about why I get punished because someone can't be bothered to learn about the issue, rather than just assume.

    ReplyDelete