Friday, March 7, 2014

Elements

Week #10 - the letter "E" again

The elements - Earth, Air, Fire, and Water - have always fascinated me.  They are a core component of my personal practice. 

Earth Air Fire Water ambigram
The Pagan elements were one of the first things I learned about on my path.  It clicked with me and I was hooked on them.  There are moments in life when you have those "a-ha" moments when there is clarity and connection.  Learning about the elements, in paganism, was one of those moments.

I have explored the elements on many different levels.  As a Taurus, I am an Earth sign.  And it gels with me for the most part.  But I wanted to know more, dig deeper, and discover more. 

There is a ton of information, identifying quizzes, and comprehensive traits for each of the elements in the books "Elemental Witch: Fire, Air, Water, Earth: Discover Your Natural Affinity" by Tammy Sullivan and "The Way of Four: Create Elemental Balance in Your Life" by Deborah Lipp.  By utilizing the information, I have discovered that I'm equal between the elements of Earth and Water.  I affectionately call my elemental affiliation Mud.

The balance of the elements (male and female, directions, seasons, times of day, senses, moon phases, etc.) also strikes a chord with me.  Balance is one of the top factors in my belief system.  Generally, my invocation of the elements during rituals I write and perform for myself or others are detailed and elaborate. 

This is a circle casting and elemental invocation I like to use:


Return to the altar and pick up the incense. Then walk the circle starting/ending in the East with the incense while saying: “Guard and protect this circle and all who dwell within. By the powers of the East and Air, as I will it, so mote it be.”

Upon completing the circle, return to the altar for the candle. Again, walk the circle with the candle starting/ending in the South while saying: “Guard and protect this circle and all who dwell within. By the powers of the South and Fire, as we will it, so mote it be.”

Again, return to the altar, this time for the water. Walk the circle with the water (which should be flicked out of container as you make your way around the circle) starting/ending in the West while saying: “Guard and protect this circle and all who dwell within. By the powers of the West and Water, as I will it, so mote it be.”

Return to the altar for the salt. Make the final walk around the circle with the salt (which should be sprinkled as you makes your way around the circle) starting/ending in the North while saying: “Guard and protect this circle and all who dwell within. By the powers of the North and Earth, as I will it, so mote it be.”

Then say: “Great spirits of the East, South, West and North; Guardians of the great powers of Air, Fire, Water and Air, I greet thee. I see your beauty manifested in the world around me. You touch my soul and gladden my heart. I thank thee.”

Call the East Sentinel by facing East and saying: “Hail to thee, Guardians of the East! Your powerful winds calm my mind. I greet the East, direction of Air: gentle breezes and strong winds, realm of the beauty of clouds and birds, bearer of the weather which touches me, the breath of life I inhale and exhale. I am a part of all around me. Come! Send forth your inspiration, and be here now. If it pleases you, take your place at my circle, and be at one with me. Blessed Be!” Then light the Yellow East candle.

Call the South Sentinel by facing South and saying: “Hail to thee, Guardians of the South! Your powerful fires enflame my will. I greet the South, direction of Fire: candle flame, bonfire, starlight and sunlight, the energy which warms me and gives life to the world I inhabit, the energy which pulses along my nerves. I am a part of all around me. Come! Send forth your passion, and be here now. If it pleases you, take your place at my circle, and be at one with me. Blessed Be!” Then light the Red South candle.

Call the West Sentinel by facing West and saying: “Hail to thee, Guardians of the West! Your powerful waters soothe my heart. I greet the West, direction of Water: rain, snow, rivers and lakes, the great encircling ocean from which all life first came, the blood which flows through my veins still bearing the saltiness of that original home. I am a part of all around me. Come! Send forth your tranquility, and be here now! If it pleases you, take your place at my circle, and be at one with me. Blessed Be!” Then light the Blue West candle.

Call the North Sentinel by facing North and saying: “Hail to thee, Guardians of the North! Your powerful earth sustains my body. I greet the North, direction of Earth: metal and stone, hill and valley, Mother who bears and nourishes all life--root and leaf, fur and feather and scale and skin, muscle and bone and brain cell. I am a part of all around me. Come! Send forth your strength, and be here now! If it pleases you, take your place at my circle, and be at one with me. Blessed Be!” Then light the Green North candle.

Then say: “From the ground, from the stone, from the windswept sky. From the flaming fire's cone, from the flowing water's sigh, our spirits call, our voices sing of elemental power. Come, aid us in our circle. Be here in this hour. So mote it be.”

I don't always go so big with the elements. Even if I use the simplest of invocations, I take pause with each of the elements, giving them the respect I fully believe they deserve.

Air moves us
Fire transforms us
Water shapes us
Earth heals us

4 comments:

  1. As always insightful and a pleasure to read. I have always kept up with the elements and which seem to dog my path when I was neglectful. I am closest with water and earth. Air has always been difficult for me. Fire we have taken steps toward peace :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Air is my downfall and I blame that on a bad situation where I was working with Air and things went wrong while under the supervision of a misinformed and controlling High Priest. *sigh* Water and Earth are my comfort zone elements and I work very well with both of them on most any level. Fire and I are cool but the sexiness and power of Fire can sometimes knock me off my game because I get too mesmerized.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for sharing! I know I'm DEFINITELY an Earth type, but can never seem to pin down a secondary element.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will have to take some of the quizzes I used for the class I taught and will probably turn into a workshop for KAPPD.

      Delete