Friday, August 15, 2014

Questions

Week 33 - the letter "Q"
I recently had a new friend, and someone who is in the early stages of discovering their Pagan path, ask me a series of questions.  These questions were well thought out, different than the standard questions I usually get asked, and made me actually think.  I loved it. 

The questions made me rely on my years of study and experience to dig for the answers.  The questions weren't so much those that require an answer that is factual but more so ones of opinions and educated thoughts. 

It made me think of all the questions I've had over the years.  Early on, I rarely had the opportunity to ask a person I knew personally and in-person/real life.  I would have to search books, and later, the internet.  There was little consistency, in fact, many times the answers were contradictions.  I had to experiment, often with less than favorable results, and rely a great deal on my instincts. I learned a great deal and definitely built upon my own version of Paganism, but oh how I would have loved a second opinion.

Everyone has questions and, if they are lucky, they are able to find answers that work for them and support their personal belief system, ethics, and morals.  It's how life works.  Sometimes we don't pose questions to other people because we think the question is "silly" or "stupid".  We may fear that we will appear naive or just plain dumb.  There really are no stupid questions and, most likely, someone else has wondered the same thing.

So ask questions, utilize your community, provide answers whenever you can.  Sharing our experiences and wisdom brings us closer to one and other and strengthens the bonds of the community.

The questions my friend asked prompted me to consider the need of open question and answer sessions within my personal Pagan community.  These could be round-table discussions when anyone and everyone chimes in with their thought and answers or it could be with one or two "answer" people.  The round-table discussion would be the most ideal, and would probably transform into that format anyway.  Questions could be anonymous or not. 

Everyone could benefit from these sessions.  It's time to start making it happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment