Friday, August 29, 2014

Rede

Week 35 - the letter "R"
These Eight words the Rede fulfill:   "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"...

Doreen Valiente is credited with the first public recording of the Rede (also called the Wiccan Rede, the Pagan Rede, and many other names) as the eight word couplet when she presented a speech in 1964.  Ten years later, Earth Religion News magazine published the "long" version of twenty-six lines.  Since then, many others have claimed they were the inspiration for the Rede, wrote it, suggested it, etc.  It has been rewritten and published using different words, different phrases, and other alterations.  However, the eight final words are there, always, in some manner.  To many, those words are the key.


The interpretation of the Rede varies.  Some people view it as advice while some see it as a rule or commandment.  It is also used as a method for evaluating the morality of a decision before taking action.  The Rede is ambiguous because each individual can interpret as they wish, skewing it to fit into whatever the current situation or mindset involves.  The word "harm" is very subjective as well. 

Does the Rede grant a free pass to do whatever you want?  Is it a rule?  Is it advice?

I am a Grey Witch so my view of the Rede is different.  So here is what it means for me:
  • I do not abide by the Wiccan Rede because it isn't logical to me.  I do use it as a guide, knowing that even the best of intentions can result in disaster which can and will harm.    
  • If I need to defend or protect those I love, I will do so with whatever means I possess.  This may include taking a proactive approach and making the first move.
  • I may refuse to heal or help if I view the outcome of doing so to be that for which I do not want to be responsible.
  • There are multiple sides to every situation.  I am able to see how something the majority views as evil or bad may have acceptable motivation.  I may not agree but can see it and know it is not my place to judge others.
  • I embrace the dark and the light and know that one cannot exist without the other. 
I also take Karma seriously.  I know that what I put out there will come back to me as a consequence or a lesson.  I may have to make the first strike in certain situations and I will do so, knowing full well the potential reactions.  There are instances when it is worth the potential pain if it means keeping me and mine safe.  I am responsible for myself and what I do, or do not do, is my choice and I accept whatever it is that may come from my choices.

From Wiki:
There have been a number of published interpretations of how one should determine what constitutes 'harming none'. Silver Ravenwolf, for instance, believes that although acting to restrain a wrong-doer is in a sense harming them, failure to act against them could allow greater harm; this must be carefully weighed up, and preferably a course of action can be found that minimizes harm to all parties.

A few people observe a modern revised Rede with the words "an it cause harm, do as you must" appended.
I like the appended version.  There is still a great deal of interpretation that you need to gut check with yourself.  What is something you "must" do, address, etc.  And "harm" is still up for debate.

I know that I am a good person and that my morality and ethics are my own and would correspond with most people in the world.   I do what is right for me and the situation.  I weigh the pros and the cons and act in a manner that is good with my soul, my brain, and my heart. 

No comments:

Post a Comment