Friday, October 17, 2014

UGH

Week 42 - the letter "U" again
Since I really don't have much more to say about the Unitarian Universalist Association, I needed a different "U" topic for this week.  I considered writing about UPG (Unverified Personal Gnosis) because the idea fascinates me but I just could not do something deep and write a post that would require detailed thought.  So, what's a girl to do?  I looked up words - Pagan and otherwise - and found nothing that made me get all jazzed and motivated to write.

UGH! That's it...I will write about UGH moments.

UGH is an interjection and is used as an exclamation of disgust, annoyance, aversion, horror, or dislike. For me, this UGH is generally accompanied by an eye roll, a exasperated sigh, and/or a knowing glance with my closest friends..  Pagan moments, statements, types of people that make me go UGH are, typically, those of the "Fluffy" or "Fluffbunny" or "Hollywood" variety. 

Let me attempt to explain what I mean based on MY OPINIONS AND MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCES.  I also want to note that I do not hate or dislike the people that fall into the categories I am attempting to define.  I was one at a point early on in my journey and had friends that were as well.  Some grew out of it (phase), some stayed in it (see below), and I grew into a Pagan.  My issues are that my Paganism is my religion and my spirituality and so anyone or anything that draws negative attention or mockery does nothing to help improve society's image of Pagans and Paganism.  Everyone has the right to be the person and the Pagan they wish to me, regardless of what me, or anyone else, thinks.  (Please excuse the overused bold above but I really want people to read and notice what I have to say about what I'm about to say.)

The "Hollywood" type is the Pagan who gathers most, if not all, of their knowledge and belief from movies and fictional books and puts that knowledge into practice without further exploration.  These are often the people who claim extensive lineage of their witchiness, are fairly certain they could easily fit in with the "Charmed" sisters, and would definitely admire Sarah, Bonnie, Rochelle, and Nancy from "The Craft."

The "Hollywoods" want to be witches.  Because magick is easy and anyone can do it, especially those born into the tradition as natural-born witches.  And it's cool!  And it makes them special.  They are drawn to this idea and it is something to try for a while or to shock someone.  It's often a phase unless they actually start to do research and meet others who are not of a similar mindset...people who are Pagans that may or may not practice magick but also find so much more in a spirituality in which they identify.  It's a commitment and not just fun and games.

(For the record, I still like "The Craft" and I would most want to be Piper on "Charmed".  I love most books and movies about witches and all things occult.  I giggle at the silliness and am in awe with some of the powers and abilities.  But I am able to differentiate between fact and fiction.)

"Fluffy" and "Fluffbunny" can be interchangeable with "Hollywood" but Fluffbunnies are more about the mystical realms, insist they already know everything they need to know, believe all Pagans should think the same as they do and have the same values and intentions, and are very forceful and insistent about the "rules" of being a Pagan - what you can do and what you cannot do. Their way is the right and only and true way.  Anyone who says otherwise is a bully or intolerant or uneducated.

Some statements that may be viewed as fluffy:
  1. "I can't do that because of personal gain."
  2. "Everyone is supposed to follow the Wiccan Rede."
  3. "Seeing that puppy in the pet store is a sign that I should have a baby."
  4. "Never work a spell under the dark moon."
  5. "But the [insert at least three different correspondences] aren't in conjunction and don't work towards my intention so I simply cannot do this ritual now."

My thoughts:
  1. What spell isn't based on some amount of personal gain?  You are trying to cause a change either for yourself or for someone else.  Someone will benefit.  Someone will gain.  And even if it isn't "personal" gain, you are going to feel good about yourself for helping out.
  2. No.  The Wiccan Rede is called "Wiccan" for a reason.  It is a guide for those who identify as Wiccan.  Not all Pagans are Wiccan.  Not all Pagans are Witches.  Not all Witches are Pagan. You see where this is going, right?
  3. Not everything is a sign.  There are coincidences.  And, when you put yourself somewhere like a pet store and see a pet, you don't need to read into it.  And if you are looking for a sign to confirm an idea or change, believe me, you will find it in someway and justify the hell out of your sign.  When something crosses your path repeatedly and/or in non-typical situations, consider that it might be a sign.  Consider it.
  4. Words like "everyone", "always", and "never" are red flags.  They indicate absolute rules that are to be followed.  Different people, various traditions, special circumstances lead many Pagans down a path that is uniquely their own.  
  5. Someone, at sometime, decided that the color red symbolized love, that Hematite was a good stone for grounding, and that work performed under a waning moon will certainly backfire.  While that may be true for you, it might not be true for someone else.  Your energy and your beliefs add the oomph to the object you work with so if you don't believe the red symbolizes love, you won't have the confidence you need in performing your spell.  Find what works for you and then use it.
My path is my own.  It is unique to me and it is built from the books I've read, the people I've met, the experiences I've had, and my own gut instinct.  What I do may not work for you...either at all or just in part.  This also means I may roll my eyes and think you are "Hollywood" or "fluffy", but if that is your path and your way...OWN IT!  I own my Shanda-ism and it is what I believe and what makes me feel fulfilled on a spiritual level.

No comments:

Post a Comment