Friday, October 10, 2014

Unitarian Universalist

Week 41 - the letter "U"
If you've read my blog or know me in person, you are probably aware that I was born Catholic and raised as such until I "revolted" and wanted to find my own path.  While the beliefs of Catholicism didn't work for me, I did love the church family.  There was a certain beauty and comfort in the structure of the Sunday service, friendships grew quickly with those in my Catechism class, and the other moms and dads in the congregation became instant aunts and uncles to all the children.  It really was a family-like atmosphere. 

When I started exploring different religions and faiths, I missed having that stability of a church home and family.  I'm not saying that I haven't found something like that in Paganism.

But it's different.

Most of my close friends are those who are members in the same Pagan groups as me.  And the people I am closest to and consider to be more family than friends?  I met them through a shared interest in Paganism.  We do worship and celebrate our spirituality one-on-one, in small groups, and even in large groups.

But it's different.

I cannot tell you how it is different or why it is different.  It just is.  And it is something I miss.

When I discovered that Kearney had a Unitarian Universalist Fellowship, I was intrigued.  I knew many UU churches were very Pagan-friendly, hosted Pagan groups and rituals, and some had the Covenant of Unitarian Universalist Pagans (CUUPS).  A friend spoke fondly of her experiences with her UU church and was disappointed when the closest UU church was at least a 2 hour drive away.  It wasn't until she had moved away that I found out about the Fellowship.

Although I only attended a few times, it felt good and it felt right.  The members were very warm and welcoming.  They were interested in getting to know me as a person and find out more about my belief system.  I even presented a section on Paganism.  There was fellowship and a shared sense of purpose.

And then I moved.

Omaha has 2 UU congregations that appear to be highly active.  Because the Kearney group was a Fellowship, we only met twice a month.  The churches in Omaha meet weekly and offer different programs throughout the week.  Sadly, there isn't a CUUPS chapter here.  At least not yet.

Besides being an open-minded, non-denominational, welcoming association, the Christian god is not pushed in the agenda. The seven principles of the UUA also really resonate with me.
  • 1st Principle: The inherent worth and dignity of every person;
  • 2nd Principle: Justice, equity and compassion in human relations;
  • 3rd Principle: Acceptance of one another and encouragement to spiritual growth in our congregations;
  • 4th Principle: A free and responsible search for truth and meaning;
  • 5th Principle: The right of conscience and the use of the democratic process within our congregations and in society at large;
  • 6th Principle: The goal of world community with peace, liberty, and justice for all;
  • 7th Principle: Respect for the interdependent web of all existence of which we are a part.
 On the UUA website you can find a more comprehensive description of each principle.

These seven principles are expressed in a simpler language in the children's program:
  • 1st Principle: We believe that each and every person is important.
  • 2nd Principle: We believe that all people should be treated fairly and kindly.
  • 3rd Principle: We believe that we should accept one another and keep on learning together.
  • 4th Principle: We believe that each person must be free to search for what is true and right in life.
  • 5th Principle: We believe that all persons should have a vote about the things that concern them.
  • 6th Principle: We believe in working for a peaceful, fair, and free world.
  • 7th Principle: We believe in caring for our planet Earth, the home we share with all living things.
 Here is another interpretation of the principles, called promises in this version:

No comments:

Post a Comment