Saturday, November 8, 2014

Wand

Week 45 - the letter "W"
Much like the need to purchase a tarot deck, I knew I needed to acquire various tools of the trade.  My first priority was to get a wand.  Cliche, right? 

I began searching.  I didn't know where to buy a wand and it was better to make your own tools.  Each and every time I was outside, I would search for a piece of wood, a branch, a twig, whatever made me feel like I had found something suitable.  Eventually I did when I was on a camping trip with my closest friends. 

The stick was discovered near our campsite and it just seemed right.  Before long, I had removed all the bark and just looked at it.  I have no clue what type of wood it was.  I don't know if it was purposely removed from the tree or fell with no intervention from man.  I just knew it felt right to me and it was found during a very memorable time with some of my best friends.

And it worked for me.  I never liked using an athame to cast a circle or to direct energy.  My wand felt right for that.  In fact, it was one of my most-used magickal items. 

One day I had the opportunity to lead a ritual for a new group of people.  I brought my tools, including my wand.  My precious, well-used, and appreciated wand.  And a few people snickered at it.  And some made comments.
"That's your wand?"
"Ummm...it's certainly rustic."
"Where are the crystals?  Why didn't you rub some oils into it or wrap it with wire?"
"It's so plain and just looks like a stick!"
It hurt.  This was my wand.  An extension of myself.  Something I'd found, created, used, and loved for nearly 10 years at that point. 

Looking around, I noticed a variety of wands.  Many had a crystal or other stone on the end, several were wrapped in wire, and a few had been oiled up to shine.  There were colorful wands, wands made of nothing but crystals, elaborate wands.  Some had feathers and some were made of bone.  There were those inscribed with symbols and names.

My wand had none of that.  It was plain, mostly straight and nothing remarkable or interesting.  It was a stick.  But it was still mine.

I still have my first wand and it is treasured. 

I've never used it in public again. 

I inherited a wand from a friend.  No wires, crystals, or inscription.  It's a stick that has been oiled and is shiny.  There's some bendy spots to give it a bit of personality.  It suits me and should I need a wand for public ritual, I will use it.

Most of my practice nowadays is done without tools or a lot of fanfare and bling.  But, should a need a wand for my private workings, I know which one will fit perfectly into my hand and work as a true extension of myself.

Honestly, I don't care if your tools are elaborate or plain, crafted by hand or purchased from a store.  You should use what works for you.  You should feel comfortable using your wand and it should be an extension of yourself and your energy.  Tools have their place in ritual and in magick. 

Don't let anyone tell you what your tools should be or what they should look like.  If it works for you, that is all that you need to know and feel.  Embrace the sticks or the chipped coffee mugs.  Love the pentacle altar tile you made with sharpies and glitter.  Be you and let your practice reflect that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment