Friday, November 14, 2014

Witch

Week 46 - the letter "W" again
I am a witch. Yep, you heard it correctly. 

I.

AM.

A.

WITCH.

But what does that mean?  Let's check a few dictionaries.

Dictionary.com has the following as the first entry for witch as a noun:
a person, now especially a woman, who professes or is supposed to practice magic or sorcery; a sorceress. 
Merriam-Webster has a similar first entry:
a woman who is thought to have magic powers
The ever-popular Urban Dictionary is the one that matches my definition the most:
One who practices witchcraft (not necessarily connected with Wicca).
It is also used to describe those who follow the Wiccan religion, and, in some instances, those who practice any type of magick (Goetic, Herbal, Enochian, etc).  
Why that one?  To me, a witch is someone who practices witchcraft (I define witchcraft as magick/spellwork).  It is not gender-specific.  The clarification is also made that not all witches are Wiccan and that is a huge point to include.  A witch doesn't have to be Pagan or believe in any religion whatsoever.  You can be a Catholic witch or an Atheist witch.  Another part of my definition is anyone who elects to describe themselves as being a witch should embrace the label with pride.

Because there are different definitions of witch and a generally negative vision of what and/or who a witch is and is not, people sometimes shy away from anything with the word in the title.  This can be books, websites, social networking sites, groups/organizations/covens.  Anything.  And it is because of this generalization and misunderstanding that some Pagans miss out on some amazing opportunities and connections. 

Media and the entertainment industry feed into stereotypes.

The Halloween version - green face, wart on the nose, old and ugly - is such a vivid image that often pops into the mind when you hear "witch". 
Cartoon witch by calslayton

Or maybe the Disney version that is often unattractive and usually evil. 


Neither are all that appealing. 

There's also the sexy witch that is a popular costume for adults. 

Movies and TV have helped and hurt with the stereotype.  The sisters of  "Charmed" looked like everyone else, even though their powers were amazing.  Seriously, I would love to have Piper's powers.  Hermione Granger of the "Harry Potter" world is portrayed as typical, smart, dedicated, and a high-achiever.  Umm, nothing wrong or scary there.  Saying, "Alohormora" and giving my wand a swish and flick has never unlocked my front door for me. 

How do you define the word?  Ask a close friend how they define it.  I would guess the responses are different if elaborated in any way.  They might be very different or just slightly. 

Take some time to dig into the word and how it makes you feel.  Do you cringe?  Roll your eyes?  Picture the stereotypical version?  Try to remove those versions from you mind and assumptions.  A witch is a person and no two people are ever truly the same.  The word is an identifying factor, a label much like friend, co-worker, minister, teacher, father.  And it is unique to each person who elects to use it to describe themselves.  

I am a witch.  I do not identify as a Wiccan but have studied it in the past and it is an aspect of my spirituality.  I do magick/spells from time to time.  I am a religious Pagan and I focus more on the spiritual aspects than the magickal aspects.  Would I say I have magical powers?  Not in a way that mundane folks would say.  I am sensitive and have a way with children and animals.  I wouldn't call them powers or abilities.  But I am a witch.  And I am proud to be one.

No comments:

Post a Comment