Friday, September 19, 2014

Sabbats

(better late than never...)

Week 37 - the letter "S"

My celebration of the 8 Sabbats has changed over the past 20-some years.  I used to focus on the story of the Goddess and the God and the cycle of birth, life/growing, and death experienced by the God.  And it worked for me.  It also had a familiar ring to it and mirrored aspects of my Catholic upbringing, making me feel a certain sense of comfort and ease.  The story was always a bit odd to me - the whole the Goddess gives birth to the God and then he impregnates her, dies, and is reborn from their union.  I understood the symbolism but, much like aspects of Catholicism, I had more questions than answers. 

As I've grown and customized my personal belief system, deity has become less and less of a focus.  My honoring of the Sabbats is grounded in the cycles of Nature, in the seasons, and in the everyday world around me.  It is an observance of the never-ending cycle of birth to death to rebirth of all things - people, animals, trees, plants, even relationships and life-roles.  There is a sacred balance in those observations and a reassurance that life does move on and always will.

Mabon (the Autumn Equinox) is my favorite of the holidays with Yule (the Winter Solstice) running a very close second.  It may be because Autumn and Winter are my favorite seasons and the air turns cool and crisp but it is more so that those Sabbats are steeped in family, gratitude, and hope. 

At Mabon, we celebrate and give thanks for the abundance in our lives.  Appreciation for home, family, and hearth is expressed.  It's a glorious time of balance and we gather what we need to survive (people, food, etc.) and hold it close and sacred. 

Mabon by lusete (Lucia Segua)Yule embraces hope and silence.  The hope comes from the Sun becoming stronger, indicating we have made it through the tougher months and difficult times, coming out on the other side with renewed strength and purpose.  It is the longest night and a time spent with family and friends. 

Yule by lusete (Lucia Segura)

Celebrating the Sabbats is sensible and natural to me.  It is my way to give thanks to the Universe and all of Nature for providing for me and keeping me safe and secure.  I show my appreciation for the sacrifices made and the energy given and received. 

No comments:

Post a Comment